Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Interview with CM Rugby Captain James Myers '09--by Dan Patterson '09

James Myers is a key player on CM's Rugby team. CM's rugby program is young but has a good foundation for becoming a memorable part of CM's athletics program. I asked James how he felt about this year's team which debuted at home on March 28th and is coming off a 10-2 season with a D2 New England Championship win last year.

DP: How long have you been playing rugby for CM?
JM: This will be my third year. I'm glad to be back on the team this year and as a senior, I am hoping this will be my best year as a player.

DP: How do you feel about this year's team?
JM: We have a great lineup of returning players including Dan Patterson, Kurtis Busczynski, Patrick Costello, and Jimmy Coleman. I expect to see solid performances out of all these players who have been with the team three years. We also have a good lineup of returning underclassmen including Rich Erico, Tom Burnah, and Bernie O'Donnell. The team lost a lot of strong players but I know if the starters work hard we'll hold a winning record.

DP: What position do you play?
JM: This year I'll be taking Mike Buttimer's position as the #8 forward. This will be a new spot for me on the field, and I have been training and lifting harder than ever before. I need to be more fit than I ever have and stronger. I'll be a leading forward and I'm ready for a new challenge.

DP: How will it feel to be named captain?
JM: I was captain of the swim team this year as well and it felt great to be in a leadership position and have other teammates look up to me.

DP: Do you plan on continuing rugby next year in college?
JM: Yes. I will be attending St. Joseph's University in PA next year and I've already been in touch with their coach. St. Joe's has a strong D2 Rugby program and I'm excited that I'll continue to play a sport that I love.