Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Letters to Haiti

In addition to other efforts to send relief and support to those affected by the January 12 earthquake in Haiti, students in several Catholic Memorial English classes have been writing open letters of support to the people of Haiti.


More results of this project, which began in Mrs. Eberly's eighth grade Language Arts classes and spread to include high school classes as well, will be published here in the coming days. Here are a few of the first "Letters to Haiti."



Dear people of Haiti, 




I heard about your devastating earthquake on the news. It made me feel sad because it was a huge earthquake that broke everything. It even broke jails so criminals could get out. Then what really shocked me was another earthquake with a magnitude of 6. It wasn’t as bad as the first but it still did a lot of damage. 




Some information did shock me when the week went on because I saw this lady who lost her leg, but she didn’t care about that, she cared about her survival. Some images inspired me, I saw people getting saved under a lot of buildings and I saw worried photos of little boys and girls who could not survive this devastating earthquake. 




My hopes for Haiti are a lot of things in the near future. I hope that the USA will be able to rebuild this destruction and that Haiti will rebuild…and that the survivors will get shelter, food and care. I hope Haiti will get stronger soon. 




Sincerely, 



Jonathan Blouin '14




---

Dear People of Haiti,


I remember the day that I first saw the horrifying videos and pictures of the aftermath of the earthquake. It was the morning after the quake and I was curious as to why my mom was paying such close attention to the TV. It was at this time that I realized the magnitude of the quake and how serious it really is.


When I looked at the newspaper, the front page had a picture of the damage. It was later this same day that I saw a short video of the people in Haiti. It consisted of pictures of the damage, all of the people left homeless, and a young man trapped in a pile of rubble with his arm hanging out of the side signaling for help. This made me feel as though we take for granted how safe and grateful we should be here in America.


I hope that everyone in the world can do as much as possible to help the people of Haiti. Every single contribution, no matter how big or small will help them. The people of Haiti will be especially grateful because they have lost everything, and they did not have much to begin with...


Sincerely, 


Zack Stueve '14





---


Dear People of Haiti,


When I first heard of the earthquake and how bad it was, I thought the people who told me were exaggerating. But then I saw pictures of the country. I saw children crying, wounded trapped under buildings, and thousands of dead. When I saw this, I was at home watching TV. I felt selfish and snotty because of the things I had. But the pictures also inspired me to want to help.


Each night I pray for the people of Haiti. I hope that the world will immediately respond and help. You did not deserve what was done to you and your country.


Sincerely,


Angelo Conti '15




---

Dear People of Haiti, 




I was very sad to hear of the terrible earthquake which struck your country last week...I want you to know that I am thinking of you and praying that you will be able to carry on day by day. It is so sad that you have lost so much.




The worldwide community knows you are suffering and hears your pleas for help. Millions of dollars have been raised and countries throughout the world are coming to your aid. Your life will never be the same but I believe with the help of the world you will be able to first have your basic needs met: food, water, shelter and medical care...




You will not be forgotten. Here in West Roxbury, we are praying for you and hope you find strength knowing you are not alone – the world will help you begin again. 




Sincerely, 



Michael Keane '14




---

Dear People of Haiti,


I first heard of the 7.1 magnitude earthquake a few weeks ago while I was eating my breakfast at 6:00 in the morning. When I came into school that day everyone was talking about this tragic event.


Over the week I heard many awe-inspiring stories of people being able to survive for days under the rubble of the destroyed buildings. On the news channels on the television every day there was a new shocking story of lives being saved.


In my school we are raising money to help rebuild the tragedy struck city of Port-Au-Prince. Everyone in America is surely praying for you, people of Haiti, that you will be able to rebuild from this disaster.


Sincerely yours,


Kevin O'Toole '15




---


To the People of Haiti,


My heart goes out to you and your suffering. Your country has had suffering and troubles that we here in America can only face in our worst nightmares. Though we too have had disasters, we have had nothing as unexpected as what happened to you.


When I heard about the earthquake and the amount of people that had lost their lives, I was filled with shock at the result…I am quite glad to hear that all these countries, even from far away, are sending aid to this one country.


This event may be filled with suffering, but it is an example of how the human spirit, and its will, continues. In my perspective, this one event will unite the world for one purpose.


Sincerely,


Kyle MacNeil ‘10



---


Dear People of Haiti,


The first time I heard about the earthquake was when I came home from school. When I heard about the damage and people I realized how many people were either killed or trapped. I saw pictures of the earthquake and I saw all of the people that were affected by the earthquake. I also saw how many people persevered to help others. Then I saw how strong your country is, even when you have lost people. My hope for your country is that other nations like the U.S. help rebuild and supply you with water, food, shelter and medicine. Every day at school, we are praying for you, your country, and those who have lost loved ones.


Sincerely,


Bryan Sweeney '15




---


Dear Haiti,




It is a terrible thing that has happened to you. 




It is strange to think that such a thing could happen so close to my home. My apologies, though, do not do much for your people. I intend to do my part to support the problems there. I hear what is going on down there and I wish there was more I could do. I wish I could supply the natural resources that you're lacking. I wish I could supply the leadership that you are lacking. To put it simply, I wish there was more I could do.




I do plan on joining my school in their efforts for relief. We are doing our best and giving what we can to help support your people. We hope for the best in the future for the people of Haiti that their nation may turn in the right direction.




Sincerely,



Brad Jones '10




---

To the People of Haiti,


The earthquake that has struck your nation has caught every single country's attention in sending aid and resources for reconstruction. However, the earthquake has done more than to show how each nation is generous...it gives a glimpse into a world of poverty and disease that went unnoticed for too long.


CNN has depicted scenes that will stay fresh in my mind for a lifetime. People rising out of the rubble badly injured, holding their children in their hands and crying out loud, haunts me. Images where people hurt each other for food, water and thousands of corpses left on the streets raises more problems.


Haiti is ravaged by illnesses and poor economic development...the question that should be in everyone's mind is why didn't we send aid years before this incident took place? By beginning with Haiti, new steps to end world poverty and disease can be increased. Haiti can present us with a single solution for a world problem.


Sincerely,


Ben Alves '10




---

Dear People of Haiti,


When I first heard about the earthquake, I felt worried for all of you. Also, I thought of the worst thing that happened to me, and it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as bad as what you are going through. When I saw the news, I thought of all the people who lost somebody and prayed for them. The images scared me and made me worry more about you and the rest of the people in Haiti. I really hope that Haiti gets through all this. We are sending money and supplies to help you. We will continue to try as hard as we can to help you recover from this terrible disaster.


Sincerely yours,


Patrick Wall '15