Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Hall of Fame Award Dinner: An Interview with CM Knights Honoree Peter Starrett ’08—by Michael Flaherty ‘08

Editor’s note: CM hockey player and Boston Globe All-Scholastic All-Star Pete Starrett was invited as one of eight hockey players in the state to the Massachusetts Hockey Coaches Association Hall of Fame Award Dinner on May 8. Starrett, the only Massachusetts hockey player heading directly from high school to play Division I hockey next year, sat down after the dinner to reflect on his years at CM.

Mike: What were your thoughts on attending this honorary dinner?

Pete: I was amazed talking to the other kids in the room. They all were great athletes but at the same time extremely bright. I was honored to be in the same room as them.

Mike: What have the last six years been like for you as a Knight?

Pete: I could not have pictured a more pleasing school to attend. The past six years I have made some of the best friends that I know will last well past my college years.

Above: Starrett defends against Malden Catholic in a postseason matchup.

Mike: You switched to playing defense for the CM hockey team sophomore year. How has the switch benefitted you in the long run?

Pete: Defense is the reason I am getting a college scholarship. Coach Hanson saw in me the tools needed to hold the blue line. There are more spots open on college teams as a defensemen.

Mike: What were your most memorable accomplishments as a CM player?

Pete: I have been honored as an All-Scholastic and All-Scholastic All Star. To be selected as one of the 15 out of thousands of Massachusetts hockey players is remarkable.

Mike: What are you looking forward to most next year?

Pete: For one, I get to brag! Seriously though, I feel I can excel in the classroom and even more on the ice. The perception of the scholar/athlete Harvard withholds is a standard to reach for in any lifetime.

Mike: Are you concerned or anxious about it?

Pete: I am very anxious. I know the workload will be hard but I still can't wait to put on the Crimson jersey.

Mike: A lot of hockey players have superstitions. What are yours?

Pete: I guess I never noticed but I always stretch the same way before each game. I always goofed around about wanting a lucky shirt. But that never stuck.

Mike: Do you have any regrets now that your CM career is over?

Pete: I wish I would have won a ring. But as for regrets, I have gotten the full potential from it and leave no regrets behind me.

Mike: what was your favorite memory at CM over the six years?

Pete: There’s so many to choose from. Mr. Beatty's math classes, Mr. Perfetti's Calculus class or even wacky jersey Wednesday. But I will never forget the first time I stopped and looked around and realized the level of hockey I was competing at. I was only a sophomore but I knew I was ready, for the next two years, to better my game and carry it over to the next level.

Mike: Whom do you credit for your success?

Pete: All the credit goes to my parents. In youth hockey they would wake me up at five a.m. to drive me halfway around the world! The sacrifices they made for me make me the man and player I am today.