Monday, March 31, 2008

Live from the Red Carpet at the 5th Annual CM Fashion Show—by Brendan Ahern '08

On Sunday, I participated in the 5th annual Fashion Show at CM. For two years I had just helped out as a waiter and assistant (by being in the SGA) in the annual fashion show, which consisted of mostly women's fashions. In the last two years, however, it has become a showcase of prom fashions, involving over thirty young men and women, from CM and Ursuline and other schools from neighboring towns. Along with me, seniors Tim Sullivan, Derek Powell, Pat Curley, Giddens Rateau, Chris Rooney, Mike Macchi, Nick Cataldo, Mark Mullaney, and Joe Murphy participated. Joe and Mrs. Murphy emceed the event, and many juniors walked the catwalk, too.
Mrs. Leney directed us for going up on the catwalk. We got fitted for our outfits ahead of time but just had to show up and walk on. When it was my turn, Bridget Bussell (from Ursuline) and I walked halfway up the red carpet. Then they called my name, and I walked to the end of the carpet on the raised platform on my own. I was wearing white socks because the outfit didn't come with socks, so part of the gimmick was getting to the end of the carpet and pulling up my pant leg.

Another highlight of the show was Nick Cataldo's cartwheel while he walked down the carpet. Seeing Mr. Campea, Mr. Spaner, and Mr. Lewis too--Mr. Lewis being announced as a 2-time little people arm wrestling champion. There were raffles, too--for IPods and an IPod dock, for Patriots tickets, a signed Tom Brady jersey. Local businesses came and sold jewelry, bags, and other goods, and there were good refreshments for everyone.

This was a good start to prom season--the Prom is May 16 and the Semi-formal is May 9.